Skip to main content

Do You Feel Anxious When You Submit A Book For Review?



This article was first published on SpeakUp Talk Radio.com's Blogatini.

Do You Feel Anxious When You Submit A Book For Review?

What terrifies me most after publishing my book is to have it submitted for review.

I have experienced the worst and the best reviews on my stories, and sometimes, the bad reviews are aimed at the author in me, not so much at the contents of the book.

I find those hard-hitting, negative remarks uncalled for. However, these negative remarks have made me a resilient writer.

At the initial stages of writing, I think from a reader's perspective. A lot about the reactions of a reader and whether they will find my book a worthy read.

I tend to be hard on myself, especially if I haven't expressed myself clearly. I tell more than show as I feel descriptive language can evoke a better understanding of the time and place I choose to write about. I believe one becomes synonymous with their individual style of writing when a reader finds the book has a voice of its own - is unique and creative in the unfolding of sequences, words and description.

With all the great writers out there and the stiff competition, a different writing style might get your book noticed. Like mine has.

I accept that writing is the easiest part. Once your book is completed, do you think of the end result with pride or fear that your readers will reject it.

This is a question foremost on any writer's mind when they begin the process of publication.

Of course, we have writers who are seasoned and confident with their craft and who have surpassed their writing abilities by producing top-sellers. These writers are the creme of the crop and have a massive following of readers who love their stories, and in turn, support them in their writing endeavors. 


These writers have no fear of their books being rejected and have only pride in their work, and that's a place I want to be someday.

Then again, getting a 4 or 5-star review on a book is the ultimate goal to attract a reader's attention. Your book has to first be edited and polished to near perfection and that's hard work.

Editing a manuscript takes up a lot of time. However, I once read somewhere that too much editing takes away the originality of a story. A lot of the time I think this is true. Different word usage in a sentence will change to mean something entirely different from what you intended to say in the first place.

Anyway, I think you have to be happy with the way your book has turned out before a reader can like it. And, when a reader comments or writes a review, I think it should be taken seriously. Unless scathing uncalled-for remarks to make the writer look absurd are written in the review, then you can disregard those views as equally absurd or from someone who has no clue about what you or your story entails.

Do you feel anxious when you submit a book for review?

-shobana-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Look into the Mind of Hans Christian Andersen

A look into the mind of Hans Christian Andersen From the stories that I have so far been introduced throughout this course and I will make special references to The Little Mermaid and The Red Shoes, I have come to respect Mr. Andersen for his vivid imagery and writing skills. I found myself wondering many a time as to his way of thinking, and what would have prompted him to write such as he did, and each time I came to the conclusion that his Christian faith played a big role in it. His poverty during his childhood seems to have inspired him to write of it as the background of his characters in most of his folk tales, and it often is associated with accessing wealth in the end. He seems to write of love sometimes in the most forlorn way, and I can only conclude that it might have been one of his most desired emotions. In the Little Mermaid, he entrances his readers with such accomplished detail of life under the sea and made us see the beauty of it through his exemplary w

It Rained That Day

IT RAINED THAT DAY Where I come from, the rain either poured or danced under rays of sunlight. Rainy days crept up on me in silent acceptance of the ways of nature. They resemble the ire of human nature or the gentle reflection of beauty amidst tempest. Light streamed from the rooftop of an opposite building into my hotel room. The stretched beams bounced off the adjacent walls to project a smoky ambiance to the dull, now partially brightened room.  I thought about how the lights shifted the drudgery of darkness to create an almost magical illusion for the naked eye. A look at the clock on the wall said it was 4.30 AM. I had roused earlier than usual. I got out of bed and walked to the bathroom. A glance at the mirror on the way reflected the tired eyes of a weary traveler. I rubbed my eyes, willing the redness to go away. It had been a long forty-eight-hour flight the previous day. The short transit hours during the journey didn't help, so it felt like I traveled the whole way- no