Skip to main content

Go Back to the Basics (Published on Medium & Winning Writers Newsletter in June) #StopAsianHate

May 13, 2021


I am a Malaysian. When we were growing up, integration between the different races was an integral part of our lessons taught in schools, and the environment we lived in was one of mixed racial composition.

However, I know what it means to be dominated by races proclaiming superiority and rights over others. Because that is what it is. When there is a racial divide, it is often one race pitting over another.

For the most part, it is due to an innate misconstrued dislike for color, race, or religious beliefs. Where do these feelings take root from?

People immersed with discriminative thoughts are in many ways persecuted themselves by those very kinds of reasoning. They cannot suppress their dislike and resort to hazardous measures and remain the injurious party both in mind and action. They drown themselves in a complex far worse than the discriminated. They drown themselves in what is known as the “insufferable complex.”

I have always wondered why the race of a person is so important. Doesn’t the world today thrive on the capabilities, innovative ideas, and talents of the diverse?

I have written poems on the racial disparity that exists and runs deep in our veins, right from the start of civilization which has denied world-renowned opportunities for the marginalized.

Discrimination against Asians, in this instance, has created precarious living conditions, put lives in danger, indefinitely made a vacuum in the families of innocent victims and traumatized bystanders. It has now become a fearful world to strive in.

It is unfortunate that racial violence still takes place either candidly or discreetly throughout the world today.

More so, in first-world countries where the literacy rate is high, and people have the power and knowledge to reason rationally. I think, to put it bluntly, we have passed the primitive stage of thinking that the world is dominated by only “one color and one race,” and that is, “my color and my race,” a misconception they prefer to believe in.”

It looks like though the world is progressive outwardly, much needs done with peoples’ way of thinking. It is a closed mind that people live with if they believe that Asians or those discriminated against are subversive and an easy target for abusive actions. To a violator, to control is dire, and the need to overcome absolute.

The perpetrators do not hesitate to kill for hate. They derive absolute pleasure in their ability to destroy someone, not of their own race or color. In their minds, they think of it as an achievement to kill people who look and behave differently from them.

Asians as a whole have contributed much to the betterment of the whole world. They have the diligence and spirit to endure trying conditions and often seek avenues that create a better world for themselves and their families.

They are often the building force of a nation. The world needs a foundation of people like them for a country to rise to exceptional standards - hardworking and resourceful.

We should start educating the world about what it means to live amicably and accept differences once again due to the alarming rate of violence against people of different races and color. Peace should be uppermost in everyone's minds.

Start educating from scratch because from where I am, it appears like the dark ages where people are still slaved and killed off when the opportunity arises.

Would there be a future for our children if this sorry situation continues? It would certainly be a tremendous pressure for them to get on with their lives given all the differences among each other.

Diversity and differences should be embraced with a curiosity that will gain only interest and understanding between all races.

#StopAsianHate #GloriaOh #MichelleWoo #proudtobeAsian

-shobana-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do You Feel Anxious When You Submit A Book For Review?

This article was first published on SpeakUp Talk Radio.com's Blogatini. Do You Feel Anxious When You Submit A Book For Review? What terrifies me most after publishing my book is to have it submitted for review. I have experienced the worst and the best reviews on my stories, and sometimes, the bad reviews are aimed at the author in me, not so much at the contents of the book. I find those hard-hitting, negative remarks uncalled for. However, these negative remarks have made me a resilient writer. At the initial stages of writing, I think from a reader's perspective. A lot about the reactions of a reader and whether they will find my book a worthy read. I tend to be hard on myself, especially if I haven't expressed myself clearly. I tell more than show as I feel descriptive language can evoke a better understanding of the time and place I choose to write about. I believe one becomes synonymous with their individual style of writing when a reader finds the book has a voic

A Look into the Mind of Hans Christian Andersen

A look into the mind of Hans Christian Andersen From the stories that I have so far been introduced throughout this course and I will make special references to The Little Mermaid and The Red Shoes, I have come to respect Mr. Andersen for his vivid imagery and writing skills. I found myself wondering many a time as to his way of thinking, and what would have prompted him to write such as he did, and each time I came to the conclusion that his Christian faith played a big role in it. His poverty during his childhood seems to have inspired him to write of it as the background of his characters in most of his folk tales, and it often is associated with accessing wealth in the end. He seems to write of love sometimes in the most forlorn way, and I can only conclude that it might have been one of his most desired emotions. In the Little Mermaid, he entrances his readers with such accomplished detail of life under the sea and made us see the beauty of it through his exemplary w

It Rained That Day

IT RAINED THAT DAY Where I come from, the rain either poured or danced under rays of sunlight. Rainy days crept up on me in silent acceptance of the ways of nature. They resemble the ire of human nature or the gentle reflection of beauty amidst tempest. Light streamed from the rooftop of an opposite building into my hotel room. The stretched beams bounced off the adjacent walls to project a smoky ambiance to the dull, now partially brightened room.  I thought about how the lights shifted the drudgery of darkness to create an almost magical illusion for the naked eye. A look at the clock on the wall said it was 4.30 AM. I had roused earlier than usual. I got out of bed and walked to the bathroom. A glance at the mirror on the way reflected the tired eyes of a weary traveler. I rubbed my eyes, willing the redness to go away. It had been a long forty-eight-hour flight the previous day. The short transit hours during the journey didn't help, so it felt like I traveled the whole way- no